WHAT'S HOT
British MP Siân Berry Calls for Marilyn Manson Concert in Brighton to Be Canceled
Published
1 year agoon
By
Stephen Daw
While Marilyn Manson is currently scheduled to kick off the European leg of his One Assassination Under God tour in Brighton, England, this October, a senior member of Parliament is urging local officials to cancel the show.
Related
A Timeline of Abuse Allegations Against Marilyn Manson
01/24/2025
Earlier this month, senior MP Siân Berry penned an open letter to Brighton and Hove City Council leader Councillor Bella Sankey, asking her and the council to cancel Manson’s upcoming performance at the city-owned Brighton Centre on Oct. 29. In her letter, Berry cites the “multiple allegations of sexual assault, grooming and domestic violence” leveled against Manson over the last few years.
Manson — whose offstage name is Brian Warner — was named by actress Evan Rachel Wood as her alleged sexual abuser in February 2021, leading to more women coming forward and sharing similar stories of alleged abuse from Manson. A number of women have filed suit against Manson for alleged abuses ranging from sexual assault, harassment and grooming. The shock rocker has denied all allegations.
In her open letter, Berry detailed immediate concerns she shares with her co-signees, including that the show’s age restrictions “means children as young as 14 can attend.” While she acknowledged that prosecutors in Los Angeles announced in January that Manson won’t face criminal charges due to the expiration of the statute of limitations on domestic violence charges, she added multiple policies the city council could use to justify canceling Manson’s performance, including a 2024 document from the city saying the council was “committed to listening and responding to the needs of survivors in our city.”
“Many survivors in Brighton and Hove, and organizations supporting them, will have very serious concerns about this booking and its impact on other people visiting the city centre, local residents and the wider community,” Berry wrote. “Freedom of expression is an important principle that should be defended, including in relation to artists, but there is an obvious risk to community cohesion and the council has separate equalities obligations to foster good relations between people who share protected characteristics and people who do not share them.”
Berry added that members of the cabinet previously acknowledged that the performance was “problematic,” but said they would not consider canceling the show. She still urged them to reconsider.
“The level and nature of the accusations against Warner are concerning enough alone, but so too is the message sent out by providing a platform for this individual, at our city’s biggest publicly owned venue, and what this will mean to survivors,” she said. “We believe a solution must be found and that, despite these difficulties, the Council should act in line with its obligations to our values and the serious concerns around public safety and community cohesion.”
Billboard has reached out to Manson’s representatives for comment. Read Berry’s full open letter on her website.
Stories about sexual assault allegations can be traumatizing for survivors of sexual assault. If you or anyone you know needs support, you can reach out to the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN). The organization provides free, confidential support to sexual assault victims. Call RAINN’s National Sexual Assault Hotline (800.656.HOPE) or visit the anti-sexual violence organization’s website for more information.
Stephen Daw
Source link
You may like
-
FKA Twigs Wins First Round in Legal Trademark Battle With Indie Band The Twigs
-
Rob Thomas Apologizes After ‘Almost Killing’ Matchbox Twenty Bandmate With Flying Mic Stand: ‘I Feel Like an Ass’
-
SXSW Reveals 2027 Changes: Podcasting Festival, New Hubs for Music Programming & More
-
Dolly Parton Apologizes For Missing Dollywood Attraction Opening Amid Ongoing Health Issues, Says Doctor ‘Kinda Clipped My Wings’
-
Fontaines D.C. Share Pounding Comeback Single & Announce New Album: Here’s When It Arrives
-
Laneway Festival Director Jessie Parker to Step Down After 16 Years
Tears For Fears’ Curt Smith Puts Hand Up For English Soccer Club
Lizzie Butterworth Is New Australian Festival Association CEO
FKA Twigs Wins First Round in Legal Trademark Battle With Indie Band The Twigs
What Do We Make Of Karol G’s ‘No Me Arrepiento de Sentir Tanto’ Top 10 Debut?
YEONJUN Takes Over The Troubadour for One Night Only
Yulia Lundy Is Turning Dreams Into Reality
T Staggs Talks Southern Soul Era, Vol. 2 and Turning Real Life Into Music
Exclusive Interview With Killa Bone
Exclusive Interview With Positive Society
Exclusive Interview with Robert Flournoy
CASHFLOW – Lil Don Young Boss (Official Music Video)
HIM Hardaway
KeeZY – Anytime
RJmrLA & Joe Moses – Selena (Official Video)
“Bally540 – Cant Lose (Official Music Video) / New Hip Hop 2026”
TRENDING
Tears For Fears’ Curt Smith Puts Hand Up For English Soccer Club
Not everybody wants to rule the world. Curt Smith would be happy with a stake in his beloved soccer team,...
Lizzie Butterworth Is New Australian Festival Association CEO
SYDNEY, Australia — Lizzie Butterworth is appointed chief executive of the Australian Festival Association (AFA). Butterworth brings to the role...
FKA Twigs Wins First Round in Legal Trademark Battle With Indie Band The Twigs
FKA Twigs has defeated trademark infringement claims over her stage name, with a judge ruling that indie band The Twigs...
What Do We Make Of Karol G’s ‘No Me Arrepiento de Sentir Tanto’ Top 10 Debut?
Throughout her career, Karol G has typically taken a couple of years between her albums. So, when she announced her...
YEONJUN Takes Over The Troubadour for One Night Only
On Wednesday, August 12, Billboard and HYBE brought One Night Only with YEONJUN to the iconic Troubadour in Los Angeles, celebrating the...
